Monday, September 12, 2011

First Day of School

I am so excited to get started teaching my kids.  My friend, Bre, told me about this curriculum she had found called My Father's World, http://www.mfwbooks.com./  My original plan was to use the same curriculum as her because I had witnessed success with it and she seemed to like it, but as I looked over the MFW curriculum I fell in love.  Caden technically isn't supposed to start kindergarten until next fall, but I have been so excited I couldn't wait, so we started today. 

We started out the day by doing our daily board...I got this idea from http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/Calendar.html... it isn't quite finished yet, but it is workable. 



Caden and Dax each got to color thier own 100 Days of school sheet.  Each day we put one stick in the bucket on the daily board.  They also get to circle the date on their calendar with the color and shape of the day...today it was red and a circle.  This will help reinforce their colors and shapes.



Our first unit is creation.  I have found so many neat ideas that I am excited to share.  Today we learned about day 1 and God separated the light from the darnkess.  As we go through this process we are going to set up a fishtank according to the days of creation, so today we turned on the light.

We also separtated the light chocolate chips form the dark chocolate chips.

We are also creating a creation number poster...today we put the 1 on it that illustrated the separation of light and darkness and each day we will add a number to illustrate that day of creation.  When we are done we will leave them hanging in our school room so we can use them to review.

They are also making their own creation book so they can read it and remember the days of creation.


And last but not least they had cookies that were vanilla on one side and chocolate on the other and they pulled them apart to represent God separating the light from the darkness.   

1 comment:

  1. Cute Cute!! Can't wait to see how the year goes! Is this officially the start of kindergarten?

    ReplyDelete